Select Page

The following sections will give you all the answers you need when it comes to staying healthy and safe.

The best way to avoid a hangover is not to drink too much but would you know what to do for that hangover cure?… Migraine help?… Locate your local pharmacy for the all-important over the counter medicines you may need.

Also check our page on alcohol.

Alcohol and cooking

Alcohol and cooking are a dangerous mix.  Smoke inhalation caused by students falling asleep while under the influence of alcohol is relatively common.  Avoid at all costs. Also avoid attempting to prise large pieces of frozen food apart (e.g. burgers, chicken etc) with a knife as this can cause lacerations and/or tendon injury of the hand.

Carbon monoxide
  1. Make sure carbon monoxide detectors are fitted as required.
  2. Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (they may mimic food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness). Your landlord should provide an annual Gas Safety Record (Gas Safety Certificate) for all appliances.
  3. Ensure your landlord uses a Gas Safe Registered engineer to do any gas work in your home. If in doubt, or for further advice, contact:

Source: British Gas

Clinics/Other places you may need
Please go to to direct you to your nearest service below:

  • Pharmacy
  • Minor injuries unit (MIU)
  • Walk in centre
  • Sexual health or genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic
  • A&E
  • Dentist – make sure you register with a dentist
Ring 999 only if it’s an emergency (e.g. choking; chest pain; blacking out; heavy blood loss).  When out and about make sure your mobile phone is fully charged. Avoid any situations which might put you in danger.

Check our page for more advice and details at


You must register with a GP either at the University’s Health Service or with a local GP Practice. Find out more at Getting medical care as a student.
Do not mistake symptoms of meningitis as being ‘just Freshers Flu’. Check on the link below for symptoms and other important info.  For suspected meningitis ring 999.

If you are not sure ring 111 (both are a 24 hour service and their numbers are free).  Many students are requested to be up-to-date on their British vaccination schedule before starting University. For details, go to

Take regular medications?
Do you know where to collect prescriptions from in your new area? What are their opening times? Check these out before your medication is due for renewal.
Who can help you with


  • Advice on sexual health – Sexual health or (GUM) clinics
  • Allergies  – Pharmacy/GP
  • Asthma – GP


  • Blood pressure monitoring – Pharmacy
  • Blood test – GP


  • Cervical smear – GP
  • Contraceptive advice/problems inc. free condoms – Contraception clinics
  • Contraceptive pill (first time starting or to change the pill you are on)  – GP
  • Contraceptive pill repeat – GP
  • Cuts – MIUs/Walk-in Centre


  • Diabetes – GP
  • Diarrhoea – Pharmacy


  • Ear infection/blocked ear – Pharmacy (see
  • Emergency contraception – Contraception clinics; sexual health or genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinics ; most NHS walk-in centres and minor injuries units; most pharmacies


  • Insect and animal bites – MIUs/Walk-in-centre


  • Minor:
    • burns – MIUs/Walk-in-centre
    • eye injuries – MIUs/Walk-in-centre
    • head injuries – MIUs/Walk-in-centre
    • illnesses (e.g. flu, coughs, colds, high fever, sore throat)  – Pharmacy
    • injuries to back, shoulder and chest – MIUs/Walk-in-centre


  • Rash – 111
  • Rape and sexual assault – 111 (NHS) / 101 (Police) / Sexual assault referral centres /.  In an emergency dial 999
  • Runny nose – Pharmacy



  • Travel immunisation – GP/NHS 111



  • Vomiting – GP


  • Wound dressings – Pharmacy/Walk-in-centre